Make Sure That Your Drivers Are Covered

Apr 21, 2019 | Main Blog

Too many times our agency becomes aware of certain situations in a household after a claim has occurred. Often we are able to remedy these situations, but sometimes there is an uncertainty of coverage for the driver involved.

The following are several of these situations which our agency should be advised. If your son, daughter or another member of the household receives their drivers’ permit, our agency should be notified immediately, but now they are not required to be added to the automobile insurance policy until they’ve obtained their drivers’ license.

If the new driver were to be involved in an automobile accident, you would expect the Insurance Company to cover the claim. Therefore, the Insurance Company expects you, the policyholder, to notify our agency of the new driver. The information required is the driver’s date of birth, social security number and, of course, the driver’s number.

The new driver will be rated on the vehicle they would normally use and would be assigned as a part-time or full-time driver, depending on the number of drivers and vehicles in the household. Unmarried, unemancipated children under age 24 attending school full-time and living away from home are considered residents of the household.

They would obviously be covered under the automobile policy. However, if your child does not fit the above description and they have their own vehicle, you should contact our agency immediately. Many times these drivers should be placed on their own automobile policy to obtain the correct protection. If a child has a vehicle that is titled in their own name, then they must be on their own policy, no matter what their age, so the coverage is not compromised.

Our agency should also be advised if vehicles are co-titled. These vehicles will not be provided automatic coverage. Vehicles that are titled to the named insured and another party should have the other party listed on the policy indicating co-ownership of that vehicle. However, if the co-owner is the principal operator, a separate policy should be written.

There may be a problem if the co-owner is not related to the policyholder and is not a resident of the policyholder’s home. As you can see, there are a lot of technicalities involved. It is important that you, the policyholder, communicate with our agency about any situation to make sure that you are properly insured. If you would like to know more about Automobile Insurance or want a quote, please click on the links and complete the information.

by: Patty Hodges


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *